Monday, November 17, 2008

Why do I H8 our House, let me count the ways...

this house was built in the 60s and we got here just in time for one thing after another to break. I'd almost rather use the bathroom at Autogrill than use this one....wait I may actually have to, let me explain. Before the summer the sink started dripping cuz the pipes were corroding. We called one guy here who kind of looked at it, changed a washer or something and then left. It still dripped. Then we called the landlord and asked him to send us over a plumber, same deal. Eventually the lime build up plugged up the hole and we didnt worry about it anymore.
After the summer it started back up again, but not too badly. In the meantime the construction started on our building. And there has been a lot of hammering and drilling and all around chaos. We've had to take all our cleaning products off the cabinet on the back balconey and find new places in the house for them, namely under the sink. Fine, I guess i can deal with that too. The other day I go into the bathroom and my feet are constantly wet and Sophia keeps slipping and nearly knocking herself out. I realize that the bidet has sprung a leak. The horizontal pipe on the left is totally corroded underneath and needs to be changed. I only clean the bidet, I don't use it-but since there is construction and dust all the time-ive been cleaning a couple of times a week (the real reason why i hate all the construction-it leads to extra cleaning!). It got worse and worse, and of course during a time when Sophia pooped herself a couple of times, so we had to use it. Holes in the pipe got bigger and bigger and it was just like dumping the water on the ground after a while-poopy water! Look carefully, I've fixed the damn thing myself- duct tape.
By now our shower has started backing up, it is a small closet of a thing, so when the water backs up, it floods easily. I've been dumping Mr. Muscolo down the drain, but it's not helping, we need a plumber. Don't worry our story continues-now the fresh water pipe under the sink
has broken. I went into the bathroom in the middle of the night, my feet got soaked and I was slipping and sliding everywhere. ( either this stuff never happens to Max or he just pretends that it doesn't and waits for me to find out and do something about it. I vote the latter). So here is my hillbilly plumbing job, I've taken the containter I use for the laundry and shoved it under the sink, that way it's something large enough to catch the 2 drips (the old one and the new one, because they are at opposite ends of the sink). There is a towel over the spray so it doesnt shoot everywhere but collects and then drips down into the bucket and the bucket needs to get emptied every few hours. We have to becareful not to trip, because the cabinets cant close all the way and Sophia's stepping stool is in the bathroom so that she can reach the sink. There is also the mop so that we can clean up any spills. Oh BTW none of this matters because the construction workers are working outside the bathroom and we need to keep the blinds up for them so there is no privacy on the toilet. You are eye to eye when you sit down and they cement. Yesterday I held my pee for 41 minutes until Sophia got out of school. I rode my bike like a bat outta hell because the wind was cold and making me need to pee more, then I used the school bathroom.

No comments: